Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Parental Units

Okay, I am taking a little break from my history (I'm back at school now and plan on posting my college posts once I am really back in the school mindset) and I want to talk about my family for a little bit. My parents are awesome, I couldn't ask for better parents. They have given me just the right amount of freedom but are still involved in my life and talk to me about everything. (almost everything) They don't hover or constantly ask about grades but they keep me on track. They also provide just enough financial support for me work hard at my job and support the lifestyle I like. (my lifestyle is a future post, I already started it but I think this post is important)

I have read a couple other blogs where guys have talked about their relationships with their parents and I feel really selfish for not telling my parents, but I just don't feel comfortable doing it and maybe one day but for now I am keeping them in the dark. They would still love me and treat me no differently but I just don't want to tell them. My other issue with telling them is my whole troubling past and the therapy I went through, I denied my sexuality outright. I was emphatic that I was not gay or bisexual, but I know they would understand as that was years ago but it still leaves me feeling guilty. And while my parents and sister would be totally fine with it, I know my extended family would not, and my extended family is a big part of my life. Wow, after putting that in writing I feel like I am limiting myself for my family, but I really don't feel like I am. This is a personal decision and this is what I am going with for now.

As for my relationship with my parents individually, things couldn't be better. My dad and I talk almost everyday, sometimes for longer and other times for only a couple minutes but it happens almost every single day. We just call each other to check in, see what is up and bounce ideas off each other. I talk to him about issues with friends and the girl I am seeing, and he talks to me about work and my sister (we don't talk that much, also a post of its own someday) and sports. Now that college football is over I am not sure what we will do because we talked smack about each others schools a lot. (I have a huge family history with a university at home and I didn't even apply, that was an awkward Thanksgiving with my grandparents but I am at the right school for me) As for my Mom, she is pretty busy and it is harder to get her on the phone but I talk to her one to two times a week and when I am home I talk to her all the time. My relationship with them is one of the things that is drawing me home after I graduate (not to live on their couch, but to the area I grew up in, I can't live at home again)

I couldn't ask for better parents, I really couldn't but I also just don't see myself telling them about this side of me. I don't know why, but I don't want anything to change between us or to develop a strained relationship with my father that some of the guys who blog have. I guess I will have to figure me out and then figure out my relationships from there.

As for a song for this post I chose Linkin Park because my parents love these guys ("My mom is a 'cool' mom, not a regular mom" sorry couldn't resist the mean girls quote, and the bi sexual in me comes out) along with a lot of other great bands, but the lyrics to this song are really fitting.

1 comment:

  1. you talking to your dad everyday and mom every week or two is like the opposite with my parents. hopefully that doesnt say anything about me :/ haha but i still havent told my dad. im just closer to my mom and i respect my dad way to much and i feel like he would be crushed if i told him. i still might tell him pretty soon though

    ReplyDelete